The Contemporary Arts Museum Houston fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. It is our policy to provide employment, compensation, and other benefits related to employment based on qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. In accordance with requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation upon request during the application process to eligible applicants in order that they may be given a full and fair opportunity to be considered for employment.
The following positions are currently open and receiving applicant materials. To apply for any position, please follow the directions within the specific posting below.
Title: Museum Shop Sales Associate
Location: Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
Reports to: Retail Operations Director
Department: Museum Shop
Pay Type: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: Part-time, including weekend hours
Museum Shop Sales Associate is a non-exempt, part-time member of the Museum’s staff who assists in the operations of the Museum Shop. She/he has considerable primary customer contact and is responsible for the quality of customer service rendered to the Museum’s visitors while she/he is on duty. The employee is responsible for the Shop’s general appearance while on duty and may assist with data entry and other inventory-related tasks. The position involves significant weekend and evening hours including public and private events that occur outside regular Museum hours. The Museum Shop provides an educational service for visitors to the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, supplementing the Museum’s programs that further the public’s understanding of contemporary art and for generating income to help it carry out its mission.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides customer service in the Shop as a sales clerk and cashier
- Answers general questions about the Museum
- Sells Museum memberships
- Receives, codes, and prices incoming merchandise, as directed
- Performs light housekeeping, such as dusting merchandise
- Re-stocks depleted merchandise
- Performs data entry for Shop’s point-of-sale inventory system
- Opens and closes sales register
- Assists Museum visitors by giving directions and providing information on other Houston attractions and museums
- Other duties as assigned
- Previous customer service experience a plus, particularly as a cashier or in a retail establishment
- Knowledge of/interest in contemporary art and art books a plus
- Excellent customer relations and sales skills
- Knowledge of Houston area preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment
- Must be reliable, punctual, personable, self-motivated and directed
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter and resume via email to the attention of Sue Pruden, Retail Operations Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Title: Gallery Attendant
Location: Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, non-smoking facility
Reports to: Assistant Gallery Supervisor/Gallery Supervisor
Department: Visitor Services
Pay Type: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: To be determined
A Gallery Attendant is a part-time, non-exempt member of the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston’s staff. A critical member of the Museum’s protective staff, the position has as its primary responsibility the safety and security of works of art on view in the Museum. A Gallery Attendant represents the Museum to its visitors both assuring the safety and security of works of art and as an occasional relief contact at the Museum’s Visitor Information Desk. A Gallery Attendant shares a flexible schedule with others on the Gallery Attendant staff that is based around the Museum’s regular public hours, including evenings and weekends. A Gallery Attendant will also be assigned duty during private events that occur outside regular public hours. The uniformed employee has a significant role at the institution and represents the Museum and its mission to the general public.
• Protects works of art from theft, vandalism, and accidental damage.
• Interacts with visitors to give directions, information, and provide general assistance.
• Assures visitor compliance with Museum regulations as listed in the Gallery Attendant Standard Operating Procedures manual.
• Answers general questions from Museum visitors and refers questions concerning works of art or Museum exhibitions to the Visitor Information Desk for referral to appropriate Museum staff.
• When assigned to the information desk, greets and counts visitors; checks all packages and umbrellas.
• Assists the Gallery Supervisor in opening and closing the Museum.
• Assists Gallery Supervisor in managing pantry area.
• Inspects works on view in assigned area at beginning and end of each rotation.
• Assists with other Museum activities as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time, walk, climb stairs, and lift up to 50 lbs. (must be able to lift a fire extinguisher or small child).
• Must have good verbal communication skills in order to speak to visitors and be understood.
• Must be tactful and polite in dealing with the public.
• Must be presentable at all times through proper grooming and personal hygiene.
• Must be observant in order to detect and report unusual behavior or circumstances.
• Must be alert and able to respond quickly in an emergency.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
Education and Experience
• High School graduate or equivalent
• Previous customer service experience desired.
Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
5216 Montrose Blvd.
Houston, TX 77006