Inspired by artist Garrett Bradley’s film, America, reflect on the everyday motion of the body as a tool for drawing. Use motion to explore pattern, rhythm, and shape—solo or with a partner—create drawings on paper, or dance in the space.
Mindful Viewing: Observe Your Surroundings
Prepare yourself for this experience by standing in place or taking a seat. Move through your surroundings and take in images from different angles. Begin by observing what is happening around right now. Take three deep breaths, then consider the following questions below.
- When you focus your eyes on one object, what do you notice about the shape and pattern of what is in front of you?
- As you make a mental inventory of everything you see, what colors do you recognize? What objects do you see represented?
- Placing your hands in the air, draw what you observe in space with your fingers.
Observe: to watch carefully and pay attention to the details.
Mindful Movement: Observe Yourself
Not only do we want to be mindful when we are still, we can also be mindful when we move.
Prepare yourself for this experience by standing in place. Begin by observing what is happening around you right now. Take three deep breaths, then consider the following questions below.
- What do you notice about your thoughts while looking around at your surroundings?
- When you close your eyes, do the sounds surrounding you create a rhythm?
- Does this rhythm encourage you to move your hands, arms, or feet?
- Move through your space with purpose—solo or with a partner—slowly and deliberately, paying attention to your body in space.
About Virtual Drop-In Experiences
CAMH’s Virtual Drop-In Experiences feature instructions for pop-up activities you can do at home. Each hands-on activity provides creative opportunities to experience current exhibitions from a distance in a unique and meaningful way.
Led by our FAQ Team (Frequently Asked Questions), a group of artists and historians who assist with contextualizing CAMH’s dynamic exhibitions for diverse audiences. Virtual Drop-In Experiences are released on our website at 1PM every Saturday. All ages, always free.