Are you a teen who loves performing? Are you writing your own original music? Are you in a band? If you love to perform in any way, then we have an opportunity just for you! Contemporary Arts Museum Houston’s (CAMH) Teen Council is looking for original performances from Houston’s teen community for Teens Perform!, their one-night-only public program. This year’s program will be held inside the Museum, and we ask that you consider the space when planning your performance.
This year’s Music Fest will be held inside the Museum. All applicants should consider the space upon submitting and planning for the performances.
Submission Deadline: Monday, February 6, 2023 | 11:59PM
Timeline of Events
Monday, February 6, 2023 | 11:59PM
Submission Deadline | All submissions are due.
Tuesday, March 21, 2023 | 5–6PM
In-Person Dress Rehearsal | All performers must be available to attend this rehearsal onsite at CAMH.
Saturday, March 25, 2023 | 2–4PM
Teens Perform! | All performances will be presented at the Museum.
- Applicants must be 13–18 years of age.
- Applicants must live in the Greater Houston area.
- All submissions are open to include poetry, speeches, music, comedy, dances, acting, etc.
- All performers must be available to attend the in-person dress rehearsal on Tuesday, March 6, 2023 from 5–6PM onsite at CAMH.
- All performers must arrive performance-ready for the event on Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 12:30PM.
- All performers must provide their own props or equipment if applicable. Microphones, speakers, and projector will be provided; however, musicians should be mindful to bring their necessary instruments, amps, etc. Performers will be responsible for setting up/taking down any of their own equipment.
- Applicants must submit a video of an original performance piece.
- Applicants must include a written description of the performance piece (2–3 sentences) and a short bio about themselves as a performer or group. Applicants may also include their website and social media handles if applicable.
- Each submission should include one performance piece. If submitting more than one performance, please submit an additional application per piece through Submittable. Applicants can submit as many performances as they would like—there is no limit.
- Applicants may only submit ONE application if the performance includes multiple people (e.g., band, ensemble, dance group, etc.) The person who submits the application through Submittable will be the designated “communicator” between CAMH and the members of their group. Please make sure to list the names of the other members in the submission.
- All applicants must submit online through Submittable by the deadline on Monday, February 6, 2023 at 11:59PM through the link below.
About Teen Council
Composed of young arts enthusiasts, Teen Council serves as the Museum’s vehicle for attracting the city’s teen population to CAMH and exposing them to the vibrant field of contemporary art. For council members, the group serves as a highly collaborative creative incubator that opens up opportunities for leadership, visual literacy, and life skill development. During weekly meetings, the council is introduced to the inner workings of museums and to the dynamic Houston arts community. Teen Council activities are decided upon by its members and can change from year to year, but past events developed by the Teen Council include virtual zines, exhibitions, fashion shows, film screenings, listening parties, music festivals, and poetry readings.
Teen Council is made possible by generous support from H-E-B, and additional support from Mark and Mary Ann Miller, Louisa Stude Sarofim, and Dillon Kyle and Sam Lasseter.