Teen Council | Submissions
CAMH’s Teen Council often accepts submissions for artwork, fashion shows, poetry slams, and more. Check out our calendar and stay tuned for upcoming Teen Council-curated programs, exhibitions, and open calls!
If you have questions or would like to participate share a Teen Council-curated program, please e-mail email@example.com.
Current Open Calls
Open Call | Submissions for Teen Council’s Annual Fashion Show
Seeking teen designers and stylists for a Fashion Show curated by CAMH’s Teen Council
Are you a teen who loves fashion? Do you design your own garments? Do you love to get dressed to the nines? Then we have an opportunity just for you! CAMH’s Teen Council is looking for head-turning designs from the Houston teen community. This is a Fashion Show for teens by teens, so it is important for your vision and voice to be included into the fabric of Teen Council and Contemporary Arts Museum of Houston.
Annually, Teen Council curates a Fashion Show for the Houston community. This show will be in-person and masks will be required. We ask that you consider the February weather when planning your garments. The location of the Fashion Show is to be determined and may take place indoors and/or outdoors—please be prepared for both scenarios.
Theme: Cultural Heritage
This year’s theme is “Cultural Heritage,” inspired by the exhibition, The Dirty South: Contemporary Art, Material Culture, and the Sonic Impulse. Cultural heritage is defined as property or traditions that are inherited from past generations. Cultural heritage can range from objects from relatives, to chosen family, or inherited cultural traditions by location or discovery. Consider from what or whom have you inherited, and what parts of your identity have you built by yourself.
Houston is a multi-cultural city, with diverse groups of people and combinations of those cultures within it. Do you feel as if you exist at the intersection of many cultural heritages? Reflect on how your cultural heritage or inheritance has changed you or your perspective. How has your cultural heritage impacted you as an artist? How are you contributing to your cultural heritage today?
Sunday, January 9, 2022 | 11:59PM
- Be 13–18 years of age
- Live in the Greater Houston area
- Submit original designs
- Be available for a walk-through at the Museum on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 from 5–6PM
- Be available for the live event. The fashion show will take place at the Museum on Thursday, February 3, 2022 from 5:30–8:30PM.
- Submit 1–7 garments. Please note that all of the items that you submit might not be showcased and you must provide models for the day of the fashion show. Designers can model one of their designs.
- Share 2–3 sentences about your collection. Include a short bio about the designer and their inspiration.
*Pro-tip: submissions should answer the following questions:
- Where and who do you come from?
- How is/are your cultural heritage(s) represented within you or your art as a whole?
- How do cultural heritage and innovation intersect?
Submit Your Designs
Submissions will open soon. Check back on this page later!